Archaeology and Palaeoecology |
The 14Chrono Centre
psimpoll and pscomb programs for plotting and
psimpoll is a program for plotting and analysis of
palaeoecological data. Key features are:
pscomb is an auxiliary program which can pick apart
psimpoll PostScript output from one or several files simultaneously,
and recombine the components ('taxa').
- High quality, publishable, graphical output of 'pollen' diagrams and
- Wide-range of numerical techniques, including zonation,
ordination, age-depth modelling, and basic statistical description;
- All input and output is plain text (and thus easily readable and
- Portable: versions available (or can be made) on all
computer operating systems known to me;
- Graphical output is PostScript, for which there is an excellent
free viewer (see http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html), a wide
range of printers, and which can itself be further modified in
CorelDraw or converted to PDF.
Further details of both programs in the documentation (see below).
This page provides access to an ftp site from which the program can
Executables are being updated to take account
of minor corrections. Version dates are indicated for each system.
For some versions, the two programs are available as one
compressed file or the two executables separately.
All program versions are executable files, and should run
directly, after any unpacking, on the appropriate system.
Changes since 10.3.99:
- Download Mac OS X (psimpoll 05.02.08; pscomb 04.07.05)
In the event of problems, check first in the manual. Then look at
this list of recent queries and answers to see if that helps. If you are still stuck, contact
Keith Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 21.07.09: version 4.27. Allowed rotation of taxa names to be -ve (in which case they are displayed reading from left to right). Added option (menu Dm) to display taxa names on the left of the diagram, axis labels on the left, suitable for display in portrait mode.
- 05.02.08: version 4.263. Sundry minor bug fixes.
- 21.03.07: version 4.261. Added an output format for importing fields to a spreadheet. Added 'Rx' to to interactive plotting to enable scale shifts. Added use of a 'perthousand' symbol for axis labelling.
- 25.07.06: version 4.253. Sundry minor bug fixes. Problems with files that have (hidden) .txt extensions now addressed: if a file read fails, psimpoll now silently attempts to open a file with the same name plus a .txt extension. Warning printed if a configuration file (.CFG) was generated by an earlier version of psimpoll, and may thus be incompatible.
- 27.03.06: version 4.252. Sundry minor bug fixes.
- 04.07.05: version 4.25. Added local regression (loess) as a method for age-depth modelling; improved reading of files from GPD; sundry minor bug fixes.
- 15.08.03: corrected bug in psimpoll that incorrectly wrote CFG files (wrt to labels on age columns and graphs)
- 12.08.03: corrected minor bugs in both psimpoll and pscomb
- 07.11.02: corrected bug with reading of calibrated radiocarbon ages
- 15.08.02: corrected bug in CONIIC (caused crash on Windows).
- 13.08.02: version 4.10. Added new zonation method CONIIC (related
to CONISS, but uses information content instead of sums of squares).
Added drawing of dendrograms for both CONISS and CONIIC.
Improved graph resolution for age-depth plots (no longer dependent
on sample locations). Added correlation coefficients (linear,
Kendall's Tau, Spearman's rank) to statistical analyses. Some
improvements to error messages.
- 11.07.02: version 4.01. Minor changes fixing some minor bugs in the
graphical output of AD/BC dates, and fixing a bug in the
independent splitting (presence-absence splitting was not working
correctly with a small proportion of taxa).
- 27.05.02: version 4.00. Major changes associated with handling
calibrated radiocarbon ages, and some minor bug fixes.
- 17.12.01: corrected sundry minor bugs. Slight improvements to reading
of Tilia files (see the documentation). Age-depth plots are now produced for all models,
including those with portions of negative accumulation rate.
- 2.2.00 Version 3.10: Added correspondence analysis (including
detrended correspondence analysis), based on Hill's original program
DECORANA, with minor corrections.
- 7.12.99: corrected reading of data needed for calculation of
confidence intervals for concentrations. Corrected problem with
clash between sums and histograms. Added (experimental!) facility to change
paper sizes (A4, A3, Letter, Legal).
- 10.6.99: corrected bug in generation of xxxxAD.ps file (caused
crash on PCs when converting concs to accumulation rates).
- 8.6.99: added facility to plot with extended x-axis scale
- 18.5.99: a bug corrected in optimal zonation (caused incomplete
results when the number of zones was high relative to the
number of levels).
Copyright © 1995-2007 K.D. Bennett
Archaeology and Palaeoecology | 42 Fitzwilliam St | Belfast BT9 6AX | Northern Ireland | tel +44 28 90 97 5136
Archaeology and Palaeoecology | The 14Chrono Centre | URL http://www.qub.ac.uk/arcpal/ |